Like lists and rankings? Here’s a few about Columbus, Indiana:
#1 Leading Location
Area Development statistically analyzed 394 MSAs/cities across 21 key economic indicators. The combined results identified the top 100 MSAs who are moving in the most upward projection as measured by GMP, job creation, wages and other key economic indicators and whose strengthening economies should be attractive to potential new investment going forward. For five consecutive years, Columbus, Indiana, is ranked in the top ten among all U.S. metros, ranking #1 Small City and #4 overall in 2016.
Top Ten Affordable Cities
In their Sept./Oct. 2011 magazine article “10 Affordable Cities for Retirement,” AARP chose Columbus as one of its top ten cities to retire in, saying, “Never heard of Columbus? That’s fine – residents love this little city’s under-the-radar charm. Less than an hour south of Indianapolis and east of Bloomington, Columbus has it all: design cognoscenti say the city’s innovative architecture ranks right up there with Chicago’s and San Francisco’s.”
Milken Institute Top 3 City
Columbus, Indiana maintained its second place spot for the “Best-Performing Small Cities” in the 2014 Milken Institute report. The #2 ranking was driven by the community’s Top 10 finishes in one- and five-year job growth, one-year wage growth, and one-year high-tech GDP growth.
Top Ten Prettiest Towns
Experts from the Travel Channel, National Geographic, and Fodor’s helped compile the Forbes.com list, calling Columbus an “unexpected municipal gem” (March 2012). In addition, Forbes also named Columbus as one of the “Best Small Cities to Raise a Family” in November 2010.
Top 100 Places to Live
Columbus was named to Relocate-America’s Top 100 Places to Live, which in 2009 noted “the city’s impeccable art, lush landscaping, a first-rate park system, and of course, the outstanding architecture.” Fortune Small Business agreed and named Columbus as one of “America’s Top 100 best places to live and launch a business” (April 2008).
Columbus, Indiana (population 44,000) is ranked sixth in the nation for architectural innovation and design by the American Institute of Architects, right behind Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Boston and Washington, D.C.
Other Notable Rankings:
- #1 U.S. Metro for Advanced Manufacturing Specialization (July/August 2015) Read More
- #1 U.S. Metro for Exports (July/August 2015) Read More
- Best City Park System in U.S. (National Recreation and Park Association)
- One of safest U.S. metros (14th of 342, FBI Uniform Crime Reports of violent crime – 2010)
- #11 of 109 Global Historic Destinations (National Geographic Society’s Center for Sustainable Destinations, higher ranking than any other U.S. destination, 2008)
- 100 Best Communities for Young People (America’s Promise, 2007)
- “America in Bloom” winner for cities our size (2006)
- One of “62 Reasons to Love Your Country” (GQ Magazine, July 2005)